For four years I worked for 2,000-employee software companies doing development, consulting, and final-tier application support. Since then, I've done ~25 freelance projects—everything from web development to a USB device driver. I've usually done my own requirements gathering, dba, sysadmin, and customer support.
- LAMP / WAMP (Linux / Windows, Apache, MySQL, OO PHP), SQL, Ubuntu Linux
- validated, strict XHTML / HTML5, XML, CSS, CSS3, DOM
- Python, OpenERP / Odoo / ERP, PostgreSQL (including dba / database admin), Eclipse PyDev Python debugger / IDE
- Magento, Firefox add-ons (extensions), Chrome extensions, Chrome developer tools
- Intuit QBMS (QuickBooks Merchant Services) payments, Quickbooks API
- customer support, technical support, Linux sysadmin / Linux system administration / Linux admin, dba / database admin
(abridged - see
for more details)
- Wrote a demo site using Google Maps and latitude and longitude calculations for a square, circle, and distance between pins on the map.
- Also login and session handling and several other fields.
Mini-Projects - for others and personal June, 2014 - February, 2015
Wrote an article on Amazon Web Services (AWS) S3 security and PHP usage.
- Changes to DNS--MX, SPF, DKIM, and CNAME--while studying MailChimp Mandrill. Wrote PHP code for template emails and receiving mail through a webhook.
- Repaired a Minecraft Ubuntu Linux server by increasing swap space from 256MB to 2GB.
- Demonstrated Apache-level user login security and HTML-to-PHP video file upload and post.
McClellan Industries / McClellan Sales
2013, April – 2014, June
McClellan OpenERP (Odoo) Project
- Wrote 11+ custom addons / modules
- Database administration:
- Installed and configured PostgreSQL and restored the production database in Ubuntu Linux 14.04 and Windows 7. Performed both full and incremental / binary log / WAL restores.
- Backed up PostgreSQL in the Windows Small Business Server 2011 production environment--both full backups and incremental (binary logs / WAL).
- Documented full and incremental backup processes.
Earlier McClellan Projects
Details are a secret until the products are released, but here are the technologies involved:
Project 1: A Google Chrome extension involving traversal and parsing of an HTML5 DOM tree, HTML5 local storage, OAUTH, XML / JSON I/O to / from Google Data REST APIs,
- 2. A C# .NET application involving OAUTH and other Google APIs.
2011-Feb to 2014-June
- Wrote a .NET C# USB device driver, API, GUI, and slide show for the
GameSkunk scent generator
- Documented the GameSkunk bytecodes, API, and hardware specifications
- Consulted on the driver for a 2nd platform (details secret for now)
2012, Dec – 2013, Feb
- Created a zip code database based on open / crowdsourced data
- Wrote REST interactions / integrations between Magento and the client's custom ERP system—prices, inventory, and shipping from the ERP, customer data and payment info to the ERP
IDG Education Solutions
2011, May - Nov - LAMP -
Numerous bug fixes and enhancements, conversion from procedural to OO.
Webdezyners.com 2011, July - Sep
- Coded fifteen easy to difficult enhancements / bug fixes on a LAMP application.
- Eight easy to very involved enhancements / bug fixes on a Java / J2EE / JSP / Tomcat application
Braineo Web Solutions
Wrote an Intuit QBMS payment module for the WebsiteBaker CMS in PHP
Wrote a Firefox Add-on to count characters of a Facebook post while typing, so one doesn't exceed the 500 character limit
- Performed systems analysis and rewrote a CRM-data-driven OLAP / data analysis / data warehousing system after a Siebel CRM transaction system upgrade. The OLAP system was in Oracle RDBMS and Hyperion Essbase
- Performance tuning - Reduced the RDBMS analysis calculation (Oracle PL/SQL routines) by 8 times
- Reduced the Essbase calculation time from infinite to workable; made outline changes
Hyperion Solutions (now part of Oracle)
software engineer (employee)
2000 - 2002
- CRM-data-driven OLAP consulting that continued with Object Alliance in 2004
- Original development of data analysis / OLAP systems in Oracle PL/SQL, MS SQL Server T-SQL, Informatica, and Hyperion Essbase
Indus International (now Ventxy)
programmer / analyst, customer support rep (employee)
1997 - 1999
- Worked all aspects of an industrial maintenance support system / ERP--customer support, bug fixing, fix testing, and installation at client sites. System written in C and Oracle SQL.
- Took hundreds of bug calls, found the problems, fixed them, and installed the fixes by modem
- The system kept track of purchasing, receiving, and inventory of maintenance parts, and maintenance schedules for power plants, gold mines, oil refineries, etc.
- BS in Computer Science, Southern Polytechnic State University (Marietta, GA): 2005, 4.0 GPA
- University of Southern California (Los Angeles): 1991 - 1993, 3.4 GPA
- Harvard University Summer School (Cambridge, MA): 1991, 3.85 GPA